Monday, May 25, 2009

Sully

"Sully" is the nickname my husband gave his dad. I'm not really sure where it came from, but because Mike's dad is also a 'Mike', we've both called him Sully for as long as I can remember. It's kind of a special nickname from Mike and me...no one else in the family really calls him that.

This is the first time I've written about Sully like this on my blog. I'm not really sure why I chose to keep it private. But, it's time to write.

Sully has been battling cancer since shortly after I returned home with Maelie from Vietnam. At the time, he wasn't feeling well. He was really tired, cold all the time, and would feel winded, as if he couldn't catch his breath. He finally went to the doctor, and after tests, it was determined he has myelofibrosis. This is a cancer of the blood, and to put it in simple terms, it causes the body to stop producing red blood cells, platelets. This was why he was feeling so tired and winded; his body wasn't receiving oxygen.

Along with the myelofibrosis, Sully also has leukemia cells in his blood. This is not an acute leukemia yet, however, but does add to the whole because the body is battling so many things. He also had a circulatory problem in his leg, which was causing much pain. He had a surgery on this over a month ago, and unfortunately, this wound has not healed properly, so he has had to undergo two additional surgeries, so far, to repair this.

There isn't a cure for his cancer. He's had to have regular blood transfusions to supply his body with platelets. A month ago, he went to the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN, and found that he could have chemotherapy, which could lengthen his life and add to the quality of his life. The first round of chemo seemed to help him. He went back for the second round last week, and, unfortunately, they have found his leg wound is infected again...which led to one of the additional surgeries I mentioned.

In the course of all this last week, they have found two spots on Sully's lungs. The doctor is thinking cancer, but they will not be sure until a biopsy is done, probably tomorrow. If it is cancer, Sully is seriously considering coming home, foregoing anymore treatment, and letting nature run its course. We have no answers on this yet, until the biopsy is done and the results are back.

I have known Sully years before Mike and I even started to date. My sister worked with Sully and Mike at the same business, which is how I got to know the family. Sully has always been the bright spot, for me, in my family of in-laws. And, yes, I do say this tongue-in-cheek....I love my in-laws, but seeing Sully, and talking with him, has always been a joy. He's special in a way that's hard to describe. A very smart man, he can fix anything, build beautiful furniture out of wood, analyze things to figure how they work. He started as a mechanic, and worked his way into becoming the service manager for the business he worked for. So, not only is his 'street smart,' but also intelligent with numbers, customer service, etc. Always level-headed, until pushed, Sully is the calm in the Zadra clan. Which is why I always gravitate to him at family functions.

I could write forever about Sully, and introduce you to him, but it would take pages and pages and days. I wish I could, though, introduce you all to him, because he's so special. This has been such a difficult time for us. I lost my own dad about 6 years ago. My dad passed away from a heart attack. While he had been ill, my dad's passing was fast. I always wondered if it would have been better, or easier, to know how much time he had left. Now I know it is NOT easier.

I understand Sully's feelings on possibly stopping all treatment. At what point does one finally say, "Enough is enough?" But, it's hard. I know it's hard for him, too. He loves Maelie, and I know how tough it is for him to think of missing out on watching her grow. Just as it is devistating for Mike and I to think of Maelie growing up without him...without a grandfather at all. But, we have to keep in mind that we can't be selfish, and put him through more pain, more poking, prodding, and surgeries for our own desires. Whatever Sully decides to do I will respect it and just do the best I can to get through the emotions.

If you can, any thoughts and prayers for this wonderful man, and Maelie's grandpa, would be greatly appreciated. I'm sure I'll be blogging more about Sully from now on.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

I'm so sorry. I hope his time left on this earth is peaceful. I'm sure you will work hard to create memories with him and about him for Maelie through your photos and writings.

Anonymous said...

I will keep him in my thoughts.

Anonymous said...

Michelle, My heart goes out to you and your family. I have added Sully to our daily prayer list. Please know you have friends who are here for you.

Love,
Angela

Christina said...

Michelle - my Dad died of a sudden heart attack and my Mom of cancer - I would much prefer to go the way Dad did. :( Cancer is wicked but cancer cannot kill the soul, only the body. Maelie's grandpa will always be with her in spirit. Also with cancer, you never know - he could go into remission - you just don't know. I will keep you all in my prayers. Sully sounds like a wonderful man. Hugs and love.