You know, I think I have to explain why I found this so funny. No, I am NOT an intolerant person when it comes to homosexuality. What is your business, is your business, and I could not care less if a person is gay or straight...I like people for their character, not their sexuality.
The reason I found this slogan so funny is because I immediately associated our city with the ORIGINAL meaning of the word 'queer,' to mean 'odd, unconventional, out of sorts.' THAT is Virginia. If you look around, we have some of the oddest folks in the state. In all honesty, I never even associated the word "Queer" as slang for homosexuality.
Our hometown is dubbed the "Queen City." It's even painted on our city's water tower. As you read in my previous post, this weekend kicked off festival season with the Land of the Loon parade. Well, apparently, the 'loonies' were in rare form. Here's a photo of our water tower that I took last night...and NO, I did NOT touch up or alter the photo. This is real. And I laugh.

No comments:
Post a Comment