Wednesday, September 23, 2009

One Year Ago Today

One year ago today I was childless, waiting for the next day when I would meet Maelie for the first time.

One year ago today, I didn't worry about stepping on wooden blocks on the floor.

One year ago today, I didn't worry about naptimes, reading books outloud, or hugging a stuffed Grover over and over and over.

One year ago today, I could take a nap whenever I wanted.

One year ago today, I could go to a movie on the spur of the moment.

One year ago today, I didn't change diapers.

One year ago today, I didn't think about excema, diaper rash or teething.

One year ago today, I didn't know what the Sprout Channel was.

One year ago today, I could go out to a nice restaurant for dinner, without wondering if they were a 'kid-friendly' establishment.

One year ago today, I didn't have the words memorized to a bazillion children's books.

One year ago today, I sat down to read hardcover books, not board books.

One year ago today, I didn't worry about skinned knees, a scraped nose, or bug bites that swell up.

One year ago today, I could go to the salon whenever I wanted.

One year ago today, I got regular manicures, instead of worrying about cutting tiny little finger nails too short.

One year ago today, I could take bubble baths whenever I wanted, without a tub full of rubber duckies, Johnson and Johnson, and lavender-scented baby wash.

One year ago today, I never got sticky kisses.

One year ago today, I never knew the joy of a baby's laughter and joy at something as simple as playing peek-a-boo.

One year ago today, I never knew the triumph of getting my child to put food in her own mouth, of saying a word, of learning a new skill.

One year ago today, I didn't have a child who wanted to crawl into my lap with a book, and want me to read it over and over because she loves to hear my voice.

One year ago today, I didn't get to visit the zoo, the park, or the beach on sunny days.

One year ago today, I didn't hear the squeal of excitement when a favorite muppet came on television.

One year ago today, I didn't have a short, little dance partner who loves the way Mommy dances, even if it is goofy.

One year ago today, I didn't have a rapt audience for my singing.

One year ago today, I didn't have the sweet smell of a lavender child who is still warm from a bath.

One year ago today, I didn't realize that I would learn as much from my child as I was teaching her.

One year ago today, I didn't realize my life would feel complete and meaningful.

One year ago today, I didn't know how much love my heart could actually hold, how I would treasure every single moment with my child, how someone so small could change my life so completely, and how I would love and appreciate the changes.

One year ago today, I knew that this child was meant to be a part of our family, that we would love and cherish her, that she would become the most precious and treasured focus of our lives.

I was right.

3 comments:

Kim and Rich said...

so sweet.

Christina said...

So poignant and wonderful what you have written Michelle. Congratulations on your 1-year anniversary of having your sweet adorable Maelie. Children most certainly change everything and for the better all around.

Karey said...

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so excited it's been one year. You make great parents and I can't wait to watch your family through the years. Love you guys.