Hmmm....I never know what to say...."Happy" Memorial Day sounds wrong, because it's a time to remember those we have lost, yet, the Memorial Day Weekend is also the unofficial kick-off to Summer....so, I guess I'll just say I wish you all a good weekend, filled with family and fun, and memories of loved ones that have passed.
This weekend I've been thinking about my father, who passed away about four years ago. He was 66 and I was 29. My family is a little odd in the fact that my parents had me later in life. I came 14 years after my sister, and 16 years after my brother. When my Dad passed away, I was, and I guess still am, a bit jealous of my siblings. They had more time with Dad, my sister's kids had a grandfather growing up, those kinds of things. But, I have wonderful memories of special times shared with my dad and my family, and I know he's always with me in spirit.
I often find myself wondering what he would think about our adopting a baby from Vietnam. Oh, I know without a doubt that there would be NO QUESTION that he would accept her as his own flesh and blood. He was always like that...he always taught me to be fair and unjudgemental, to help and share with others, to be kind. And I know my Dad would love our little baby "M." I just really wonder what his exact words would have been, what he would have thought. I'd like to think he'd be proud that we chose to start our family in this way, and I also can hear him chuckle and shake his head a little at me, not because he was disappointed in any way, but because I have never done anything in a real conventional way. :) I always seem to do things just a little bit differently than others, especially my siblings. Yeah, I DO like to be unique.
I can see in my mind's eye my Dad holding "M" in his arms the first time, and gumming her little hands...you know..."I'm going to eat your fingers" kind of a thing. :) And then handing the baby off to Grandma or Aunty or Momma when she starts to cry. Those thoughts make me smile and make my heart swell. I can picture him with Baby "M" so vividly at times that I know he is with her now. I have known since we began the adoption process over a year ago that he would be with her, even before she was born, and take care of her and watch over her. I know that might sound silly to some people, but I truly believe it. He is as much a part of her 'red thread' connection of loved ones as her living soon-to-be relatives. It gives me peace of mind, too, while we wait for her referral, and then to travel to her, to think of my Dad watching over her.
For all of you who have lost a loved one, I wish you happy memories and a peaceful soul. And as for the unofficial start to Summer, I hope you all make some new memories with your family, and take time to play and laugh. Enjoy your weekend!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Those are good happy thoughts.
Post a Comment