Wednesday, February 20, 2008

And Now for Something Completely Different

Tonite in my inbox, I received the Weekly Words of Wisdom selected by Lama Surya Das. (He's an interesting man, I might add here...a New Yorker who travelled to Tibet in the '70s and became a Lama. I'd highly recommend reading his books.) Anyway, a lot of the time lately I've had a cluttered inbox, too much email, too busy, or whatever reason, to read the Weekly Words of Wisdom, but I read it tonite. Very short and sweet, it was the last line to an e.e. cummings poem. The line really made me stop and ponder, and I had to look up the whole poem. I share it with you tonite:

love's function is to fabricate unknownness

(known being wishless;but love,all of wishing)
though life's lived wrongsideout,sameness chokes oneness
truth is confused with fact,fish boast of fishing

and men are caught by worms(love may not care
if time totters,light droops,all measures bend
nor marvel if a thought should weigh a star
—dreads dying least;and less,that death should end)

how lucky lovers are(whose selves abide
under whatever shall discovered be)
whose ignorant each breathing dares to hide
more than most fabulous wisdom fears to see

(who laugh and cry)who dream,create and kill
while the whole moves;and every part stands still:
e.e. cummings

This is a wonderful poem that speaks of love, ignoring the monotony of life, and how a lot of magic in life is in the unknowing. But, the last line, the line that I found in my inbox, spoke to me tonite and reminded me of a great lesson I haven't been practicing of late. For those of you trying to endure the waiting and trials of International Adoption, my hope tonite is that you just read that last line one more time. It won't solve any of the problems we're all enduring, but my hope is that it brings you a minute of peace. While everything keeps moving, seemingly out of your control, just stand still for one moment. Just. Be.

Goodnight.

No comments: