Wednesday, July 16, 2008

It Pays to Ask!!!!

I'm so excited, I had to share this with y'all. While we're waiting to file our I-600, I thought one way to pass the time was to think about things to bring to the Bac Ninh orphanage. Since beginning our adoption process, I've always had it in my mind to bring things for the older kids at the orphanage. I was thinking crayons, paper, stuff like that. I emailed JJH and 'WC Staff' at the California office to kind of get an idea of how many kids were at the orphanage, if I was 'allowed' to do this, that kind of thing. 'WC Staff' told me that a lot of people bring crayons and that kind of thing, but more treasured items would be towels, soaps, and t-shirts. I guess these kids only get two outfits a year, one for school and another outfit at Tet, so an extra t shirt would be really special. Also, these kids do not know what it is like to have their own towel. How sad is that???? It was suggested to me to save money and buy these items there, but to purchase soap here as it's better.

So.....here's the point to my post today. I got to thinking of hotels and how they have so many towels, soaps, etc. I contacted the Country Inn and Suites that's nearby just to get a feel for if they donate at all. I had checked out big companies like Dove, Crayola, etc., and they do NOT take requests for donations from individuals, and there are all kinds of other rules. So, I thought...LOCAL. I just got off the phone with the Head Housekeeper at this hotel and guess what???? She is right now in the process of turning over all their towels and she's going to box up the old ones!!! She said they're still good, we all know that hotels are picky about the quality of towels they have for guests. Usually, they give these old towels to Goodwill. Also, they get a lot of things in their Lost and Found, which ends up also going to Goodwill, so they are going to save that for me, too. She is going to talk to their manager about soaps and toothpaste, toothbruses, etc. She had even said how neat it would be to end up sponsoring this orphanage instead of donating to Goodwill!!!!

I just think this outpouring is so touching. My husband deals with selling parts and machinery to mines and companies worldwide. He has a good relationship with shipping companies...so if it gets to be too much, when it's time for me to travel to Vietnam, I'll just send myself a shipment to the hotel. :)

I was just so happy and had to share my news! It just goes to show, it always pays to ask!!!!

1 comment:

Kelley said...

TOO cool. We took TONS of gently used and new clothes for the children-not just infants either. I also took a ton of teaching stuff that I knew they would like. I love the spirit of giving!