Monday, November 17, 2008

Social Worker Saturday :)

Well, our day started out looking like this...




...for no apparent reason, and I thought, uh oh, it's going to be a rip roaring visit with our social worker. We had a two hour drive to meet our social worker Amy, and I thought Maelie would take a nice, long nap on the way there. Wrong, again. Usually, Maelie loves to sleep in the car, but not so much on Saturday. She did manage to sleep for about a half hour.

We met up with Amy and had a lovely, lovely time visiting. Maelie only got fussy towards the end, and I couldn't ask for more than that. She sat very nicely for over an hour. One of the best things throughout our whole adoption process has been Amy. She has always been just the perfect blend of professionalism, and exceptionally friendly. I know I've heard other adoptive families with complaints about their social worker, but ours is just super. My only complaint is that she lives about four hours from us, or we'd be able to visit more often!!

So, suffice to say, our dreaded social worker visit (it wasn't really dreaded...just that irrational niggling of fear over how will my child behave), went extremely well, and I couldn't be more pleased. NOW, I'm sad it's over, because I won't have a chance to visit with Amy again for awhile!!!! Yeah, I know...I'm a trip. First, I'm nervous, now I'm sad it's over. LOL!!

We did learn from Amy that Maelie is ahead of herself in some areas, such as crawling, standing, sitting up, and other gross motor skills. Also, we learned that we're doing things right!!! Maelie goes to bed by herself, we do not rock her to sleep. Maelie's attachment to us is there, Mike and I don't look frazzled...we've been doing something right! It's just nice, especially as a first-time mom, to hear...'Hey! You guys are doing well!!' Yeah!!!!

I was hoping maybe Amy has heard of the ear scratching issue before, but no. Our child is unique in that regard. And in a few others...Maelie does NOT like to eat fruits, veggies, or cereal. She likes baby food meat. I KNOW...weird!!! And, Amy agreed, it's uncommon. We have found Maelie likes the combination baby dinners of vegetable beef or chicken and carrots, etc. Go figure! But, it's a real fight to get her to eat any kind of fruit. That's Daddy's girl...loving meat.

But, to wrap up talking about our social worker visit, it went extremely well, was enjoyable, informative, and just plain fun. Thanks again, Amy!!!! You've helped us make our dream come true, and you'll always be a friend...heck...a member of the family!!!!!!!












No comments: