Wednesday, April 15, 2009

A Rough Day

We've had a rough day today, and I deserve the award for Worst Mother of the Year. We decided to go to the zoo today. It was a lovely day, and Maelie was a little oernery, because we got there during her naptime. But, she was doing okay and enjoyed walking outside in her stroller. We have some great photos of her outside.

And then....we were walking along the nice, hard, asphalt paths. Maelie was in her stroller, but I didn't have her belted in. She's never tried to climb out, and would happily ride along. While we were walking, though, she leaned over the front of the stroller a couple times to see her shadow. I stopped, and made sure she was sitting, but the last time, I stupidly didn't stop, and didn't buckle her in. I'm sure you can guess where this is going....she toppled out of her stroller and smacked her face on the asphalt.

Her little nose started to bleed and she has a fat lip. I have never felt so bad in my entire life. I should have stopped, and I should have buckled her in. Now she has a little cherry nose and a puffy upper lip. I'll post photos later. I feel like the worst mom in the world!!!!!!!

7 comments:

Catherine said...

Oh....that is NOTHING!!! She didn't break a bone or have to go to the ER. Pick her up, blot her off, and keep on truckin'!! Bella has fallen from much higher heights:)

Anonymous said...

Lesson learned. I am glad she is okay.

Her Husband said...

She was just FINE! This will toughen her up to be more like her daddy! If we are going to be worried about her everytime she bloodies up, we are going to have to give her back! Daddy is proud of her owies!!!!!

Christina said...

Ouch for both of you! Poor little girl - these things will happen in a child's life - we haven't had anything major happen yet, but we have come close. It will be hard the first time, as it was for you. Just glad Maelie came through it with just scrapes and bruises. Yes, Michelle, I think you and I could got out for drinks and cry in our beer - when are you coming to Colorado? I have no plans for Minnesota in the near future! I hope Maelie is back giggling and laughing today as in that adorable video.

Sarah said...

Oh, sweetie, I hate to say, this is just the tip of the iceberg. All's well that ends well. And even when all is not well, like when there is a fat lip, you have to forgive yourself and realize taht we all do the best we can and none of us is perfect. I could tell you so many stories, but I'm working on forgetting them.

DiggingDeep said...

I was just telling Olivia last night about the time she was leaning on the screen for the patio door and she fell between the screen and the door which was only open part way. There she was - nose squished against the glass. I had to try to turn her head to not wipe her nose off her face and pull her out by her arm. She was about Maelie's age. We all have those shining moments! :)

BHec said...

That's not nearly as bad as when I decided to pull the bike with one of the boys on it behind my bike & go for a "tandem ride". I'm sure you can see where this is going too. The youngster didn't have the balance and of course toppled. If Mikey brings this up I will deny everything! Every mom/parent has had at least one episode of stupidity - don't worry, it makes us human and teaches us lessons for the next time! Thank goodness our children have angels to watch over them.