Tuesday, July 7, 2009

First Fourth of July

I thought I should post an update...I haven't for awhile now. Maelie had a rough First Fourth of July. On the 3rd, we went out to my mom's, while Daddy drove our FDNY Fire Truck in a local parade. I didn't think Maelie could patiently wait around for the parade to start, playing in a parking lot for an hour and a half, so we decided to opt out of the parade and instead played with Grandma and Auntie Kim. After the parade, we had a dinner of hot dogs and polish, and then lit off some fireworks. At first, Maelie liked them, until Daddy started blowing off the loud kind. Then, it was no fun anymore. We left soon after, since we had an early day planned on the 4th, and it was late.

At 1:30 a.m., Maelie woke up screaming. I thought she was having a nightmare, as she has sometimes had in the past. She seemed to want to be with both Mike and me, and wanted the lights on. So, of course, I'm thinking, maybe she'll want to rest in the bed with Mike and me, with the lamp on. She still wasn't comfortable, and then it hit me...literally. She was sick. And threw up in the middle of our bed. D'oh!! And then, threw up all over me as I was bringing her to the bathtub. Poor baby. So, I gave her a bath and watched for any more episodes, there were none, while Mike stripped both her crib and our bed. We had noticed before that her crib sheet was wet, but before she got sick in OUR bed, we didn't think much of it...thinking maybe her bottle leaked or something. Yeah, we weren't too bright that night.

Daddy got an education on the 4th...always remember to be flexible with children. He had planned to take her to another local parade early in the morning, her in the parade in my friend's little convertable. Mike had had magnetic signs printed up that said, "Empress Maelie," and then, "Made in Vietnam, Loved in the USA." He so wanted to show off his special little girl, but, alas, it wasn't to be. The rest of the Fourth was Mike sulking, and Maelie resting. Not a fun Fourth, by any stretch of the imagination. Mike has since realized that with children, one must be flexible.

We did try to take Maelie for a car ride that night to see our city's fireworks. Of course, Mike wouldn't listen to me that our roof has the best vantage point, but, it was fun to go for a ride at night and get out of the house anyway. Maelie was NOT happy when the fireworks started, unfortunately. Surprisingly, we had stopped down one of our city's side streets to watch them, and Maelie started wailing because of the noise....a stray cat came RUNNING across the street to come see her. It was weird. I have photos of this, and the rest of our adventures, to post later.

There WILL be a photo update soon, I promise. Life is a little chaotic at the moment. I came down with the flu now after Maelie, and, as you'll read in another post, life isn't joyous at the moment. Hope everyone had a better Independence Day than we did!!! :)

No comments: