
In the weird, ironic world that is my life, I had a strange experience with trees yesterday. First, in perhaps an omen, on facebook, I took a silly little quiz that said my name should be 'Tree.' Okay...whoopie deal, right?? Then, last night when we got the mail, I had a wonderful surprise from my dear friend Karey and her family. They sent to us a beautiful pine tree sapling with an engraved name plate that says "In Memory of Grandpa Sully." It was just lovely, and made me tear up. Thank you again, Karey.
So, in looking at the beautiful tree, I'm thinking to myself, hmm....we should leave it to grow in the container, because I wasn't sure where the best place to put it would be. And, we still will probably do that for awhile, anyway...until it grows too big.
BUT....right after I opened it up, and was busy writing a thank you email, Mike goes to let the dogs out. He comes, and tells me, "Don't freak out." I'm thinking...what, our ceiling fell in again!?!? It was really windy outside and raining. He tells me that part of my favorite tree in our yard fell over. Huh. So, I'm still typing, thinking, okay, we lost a branch. Yeah. No. A whole portion of the tree was in our yard, down. The strange thing is, it couldn't have fallen in a better way. It was totally just in the yard, didn't hit the garage, our fence, the house, the steps, nothing. It was as if it was guided to the right spot. (Thank you, Sully.)
Today, in the daylight, we saw that another large trunk of the tree was broken, too, and resting gently on the garage. So, the whole tree had to be removed. Sigh. My favorite tree. It was a flowering apple tree, so in the Spring, we had these gorgeous flowers and the yard would be pink with petals when they fell off. And, it also blocked the view of our yard from a taller business building across the alley. Bummer.
But, I think we now know the ideal spot for the Grandpa Sully tree!! Irony, or what?!?!?

2 comments:
I LOVE trees - always have. What a wild day for you for sure - I think Sully is still with you and letting you know that he is. :) What a wonderful memorial gift for Sully from Karey - that was so very thoughtful. How neat for Maelie to watch that tree grow and to think of her Grandpa. Thinking of you and your family at this sad time.
Poor tree!
Post a Comment