Sunday, February 3, 2008

Hair Info


This weekend I was talking with my very good friend Shelly, who happens to be Chinese. (She's Angela's mom for those who have followed my blog). I mentioned that I had gotten new photos of the Fabulous Miss M and they cut her hair. Shelly nodded and said yes, but it was okay. I then remembered seeing a baby photo of her second daughter Fiona and her hair had been shaved, too. I asked Shelly what the significance of head shaving in infants was. Apparently, it's an Asian custom to shave the first hair the baby grows. Since that hair is really soft and fine, they shave the hair so the 'real' hair grows in better and not fuzzy.

So, when you see referral photos or baby pictures of Asian children and their heads have been shaved, don't feel bad...it's actually a custom. Made me feel better about the Fabulous Miss M's recent haircut!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for this information as we are also wondering about this - our daughter's hair is really long and we fear that in the next photo update, it will be shaved! At least your post puts it in to perspective!

Christy K

Donkey said...

my sister has just gotten her daughter from Vietnam. The front of her hair was shaved. We were worried that it was because of lice or nits but we are glad now that it is a custom. Good luck in your venture. I can speak for my sister and our whole family when i say that all the hassle and the years of waiting will feel like nothing when you see your daughter for the first time. She has been home a week and it seems like she has always been here.

best of luck