We did go and visit Mike's father Sully, though. When dealing with adopted children, such as Maelie, Mother's Day and Father's Day can be bittersweet. It's not so tough yet with Maelie being young, but one day we might have issues on these holidays with her thinking of her birth parents. This Father's Day, though, was bittersweet for me. Having lost my father about 6 years ago, I was missing him. I suppose it was brought home this year with Maelie; I thought of how he would have loved being her Grandpa. And, it was tough to see Sully. Even though at the moment his health is holding, he's very ill. We all know this, and realize this is likely the last Father's Day we spent with him. It's hard. So hard. On the drive home after our visit, I could do nothing but remember the robust and active man he had once been. Luckily, Maelie fell asleep in the car, because I couldn't help but cry.
I am very grateful, though, that we got to spend a few hours with Sully. And, I am also glad that Mikey will have his very own, and happy (hopefully!) Father's Day to celebrate next weekend.
Here are two photos...one of Mike and his dad, and one of Aunty Therese and her dad.


2 comments:
Happy Father's Day (early) to Mike! And you know, Sully looks like a very grateful and happy man, albeit just a bit tired, but life does that to you sometimes. I pray for continued stable health for him that he will continue to be with your family and Maelie in years to come. I do realize how concerned you are all about Sully and I can emphathize - it is a hard thing to see your loved ones suffer. God give you all strength for the day.
I don't know why I came up anonymous - :( - my alias is Chris in Colorado. lol
Post a Comment