Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Of Contractors and Insurance Adjustors

Today we were visited by the insurance adjustor and the contractor for the damage upstairs. We were told that the ceiling, wall, light fixture in our room and the bathroom, plaster, everything that was damaged, will be covered by our insurance...except for the problem that caused the damage in the first place. We had originally thought the problem was an ice dam on the roof. I kept saying, what if it's a broken pipe? I was told repeatedly, no no no, that could never happen. HEY, guess what?? I ain't so dumb!!!! Turns out, the leak in the attic is caused by a cracked steam heat pipe, so whenever the heat kicked on, the steam would come shooting out of an 8 inch crack. Yeah. But, what do I know??? I'm just a girl!

Note to Maelie for when you're older...ALWAYS remember that because you are a girl, you are probably brighter and smarter than your male counterparts!!!! :)

Getting that off my proverbial chest (wink)...I am happy that the mystery of the leak has been solved and that insurance will cover the damage. Now, onward to construction! Oh yay....

No comments: