Friday, January 16, 2009

The Sky is Falling

So, our bedroom ceiling has been leaking for the past few days. Our bedroom is large, and is basically two rooms...one with our bed, and the other is supposed to be a sitting area. I've been wanting to finish that room since we moved in 9 years ago, and we just haven't yet. Luckily, the leak was in the sitting area...basically, a wide open space. And, the odd thing about it leaking is that the weather here has been extremely cold...like -25 at night. We had a guy come over and clean the snow off, but it was still leaking.

Mike called the roofing guys yesterday to tell them about it, but a few hours later.....KABOOM...the ceiling came down. CRASH. A whole section of sheetrock came down, took down part of the ceiling fan, water all over, BOOM. Yeah...good times. And does it stink up there...wet sheetrock, wet wood, musty, gross. So, we had the roofers come check it out last night, and figured it was just an ice dam. So, they were here all afternoon steaming off the roof. It seems to be only ice build-up and not a bad roof. Mike also called insurance, and to clear the ice off and any damage inside is covered!!!

The irony is, when the leak started, Mike and I had a serious talk about us fixing up the house. It's an old house, built in 1906. We've decided to do some renovating, like starting this Spring. Paint, fixing the floors, fixing cracks, etc. Well, renovations will start sooner than expected, with our bedroom. New ceiling, electrical gone through, paint, floor, etc. But, in the meantime, it stinks. Mike and I slept downstairs last night, on the couch and in our chair and a half. We had thought of going out to my mom's, but Maelie sleeps so much better in her own bed, so we just camped out in the living room. We'll probably be doing that for awhile. Exciting stuff, eh?????? Yeah.

At least no one was up there at the time. Mike had just dropped Maelie and me off from a trip to Target and he was out getting us some dinner. Maelie was fussy, so he brought us home and went back. Maelie and I were downstairs making her a bottle when I heard it come down. The house shook!! The sheetrock was sagging earlier in the day. Then I had to wait for Mike to get home to tell him...a tense ten minutes, let me tell you! He walks in and I just burst out crying. At first he thought the whole roof collapsed, and that if he went up there, he could see the sky. No, just the sheetrock. He figured, as I did, that it was going to come down, but neither of us wanted to say anything outloud. Sigh. But, no one was hurt, nothing important was damaged, and insurance will cover it.

Oh, the fun we have.....

2 comments:

Stacey said...

Bummer! Having people work on your house always takes so much longer than you expect. Hopefully you are doing something done that makes it look even better than it was!
Stacey and Sasha

Meg and Ava said...

Ewwww - well, I am glad no one was up there when it fell in. I hope that this little adventure doesn't get to costly for you... Thanks for your regulare comments on my blog!!

Meg & Ava Linh