Today, a local fireman's home burned to the ground - unfortunately, the ultimate in irony. Mike knew him from working with the fire department, and had been at the scene of the fire. I'll post photos of it in a bit.
When Mike got home from work, we decided to drive over to the scene so I could check out the carnage. This quickly turned into a spontaneous shopping trip for Maelie, Mike and me, as the gentleman and his family of four young children were also there to see the wreckage. I couldn't bear to think of his two young girls (First and Third grade), ten year old son, and teenage daughter sitting in their hotel room tonite with nothing. Nada. Zip. So, Maelie and I sprung into action and had a shopping spree. Color books, Care Bears, Chutes N Ladders, card games, hair brushes, color books, crayons and markers filled the cart. Hey, it was HER idea to spend $250....
While I was shopping, Daddy and Maelie found their own adventure, as they usually do. I'll have to make a list sometime of all the strange and different adventures they have had together. Tonite, Maelie was a cashier at Target. Yep. The cashier wanted to hold her and a customer came up, so she held her and checked the guy through. Oh, the adventures they have together.
At least I know those kids can cuddle up with a teddy bear tonite, play a game of Uno, have a little bit of normalcy. And Maelie's Daddy donated a $100 Target gift card, $100, and his brand new North Face winter coat. Hey, we do what we can, right?
Do I say how much we spent to pat ourselves on the back? No. But, I know some people who read this blog don't always realize how generous Mikey can be, and I absolutely love him for it. Hopefully, this is one lesson that will stick with Maelie.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment