Thursday, October 2, 2008

Silk Village and Museum of Ethnology

Today we visited the Silk Village and the Museum of Ethnology. Both were quite fun, and full of shopping!! We went with two other families, and Martin and Kenny (our fabulous World Child staff). Martin and Kenny arranged for our van rental, gave us tours and explained the sites. It was wonderful to have them do all that!!

The Silk Village was interesting. The first stop was the silk factory itself. The machinery looks as if it hasn't changed in 100 years. Then, it was it's own little village, narrow little streets with shops selling all sorts of silk products from purses to scarves to shoes to clothing. Very inexpensive, and very nice. I did a lot of damage there...and don't complain, Mikey, I didn't spend that much! REALLY!!!!

Then, we went to the Museum of Ethnology, which was also interesting. We basically stuck to the inside exhibits, not the gardens, as it was just too hot. The museum shows various exhibits of different ethnic groups in Vietnam, how things were done years ago, different handicrafts, houses, etc. It was interesting and educational. Again, Martin and Kenny were fantastic, so helpful with the stroller and the baby, making sure everyone was together and at one point, Kenny even had Maelie in the stroller singing to her while we looked at the exhibits. It was so sweet.

Tonite, I went to a music shop recommended to me by Karey, down in the Old Quarter of town. That was fun, too! My mom came with and I bought a bunch of different musical instruments for gifts for the kids back home. My mom and I spied a little kitten in the shop...it belonged to the owner's daughter. Too sweet!!! We just had the cab driver wait for us, which was a good move. Only cost us an extra $30,000 dong, and was well worth it.

After we got back to the hotel, my mom and I did another final bit of shopping in the shopping center of the hotel. NOW...all we have to do is start PACKING everything!!!!!

We leave Vietnam tomorrow at 9:00 p.m. It will be sad to leave, but we are all anxious to get back home to the good ol' USA and reality. I'm NOT looking forward to managing the airports with a little one, and the long flight home! What's really amazing is that we leave Friday night at 9:00, and get in Saturday morning at 5:00!!! Cool, eh??

I'll be posting photos soon....I gotta start packing now, though!

No comments: