Today was passport day. I went with the other fathers of our group of five to the Vietnamese passport office. I felt a little out of place, not being a guy, but you do what you gotta do, right?
The whole experience was different. I can't say it was a BAD experience at all, just different. We took two cabs there with Kenny and Martin. We drove down the streets of Hanoi and stopped outside a large alley type area with a building towards the back. We were first told to wait, by Martin, on the street for a few minutes, but it was raining, so he said we could go wait inside. We walked down this alley, with like little stall-type areas along the way. Not for selling stuff, but there were people sitting there, just hanging out. We got to a larger building and walked up a flight of metal stairs. Just below the stairs was a motorcycle parking area.
When we reached the top of the stairs, we went into a larger waiting area...it kind of reminded me of a bus station inside, or a shabby DMV. There were blue plastic chairs in rows, and we were all told to sit. Martin and Kenny had us go up in a line, a few people at a time. One side of this large counter we had to sign the paperwork and they looked over our passports. Then, we went to the other side to pay our fee, which was 200,000 dong, or about $14 USD. That was it. We then walked back down that alley to the street, waited for cabs, and came back to the hotel.
It was odd, though, because the people behind the glass were VERY business. They did not meet my eye, they did not grin, they did not smile, NOTHING. Just sign, look at passport, move to the other side, and then pay your money. No grin, no nothing. And they all wore military uniforms. So, while it wasn't wholly uncomfortable, it was odd. I have to say, though, that Martin and Kenny didn't seem too uncomfortable...they were very professional, of course, but not quite as stiff as the rest of us.
Tomorrow, we have two groups...one group will go pick up the passports (that would be the fathers and me), and the other group will go to have the baby's visa photo taken. My mom and sister will go do that. Then, we wait until Monday morning for her medical appointment, then her visa appointment at the US Embassy, and we will be free to leave.
We are hoping tomorrow night to go see the water puppet show with the other Michelle from Minnesota. Little Missy seems to be doing fine, but she is congested and has some green boogies. She is taking some baby triaminic. :)
More photos to come, I promise!!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

18 comments:
Stay away from the water puppet show and don't be giving your medical supplies away to strangers. Can you imagine me having to go to the passport office with the other "dads". They would have made me take a cab of my own, which I would be fine with.
I didn't get to experience the DMV...bit I did remember that Tim got yelled at there. They waited forever and Tim had his feet up and he "got in trouble" for having his feet up. Sounds like things are going well! Have fun!
It is a good thing your husband isn't with you....from his comments, it seems like he wouldn't be having too much fun!!! I remember Vietnam with only loving memories and I am sure you will too!! Enjoy the puppet show, it is worth seeing :) Your daughter will be very happy one day seeing the pictures of you in her birth country.
At 1:30 this morning, BooBoo was at the passport office and I was at a structure fire in a neighboring community. If you knew me, you would already know that I think I get the better end of the deal!
Try your email again, ZoomZoom. I made and adjustment.
Over
17
To her husband,
Are you saying you would rather be putting out a fire (and risking your life doing it) than picking up your new daughter in Vietnam? I am so confused my your comments!
I meant to say "BY your comments"!! Sorry for the grammatical error!
michelle, your husband sounds hilarious! i love reading his color commentary...thank you for the run down on the visa experience since i'll be one of the "dad"s" too while i'm there!
cheers
m
I don't think her husband sounds funny at all...to me the comments are depressing, makes me wonder if he really wants a daughter--but then again I don't know him. It probably is good he isn't there though, sounds like Michelle is doing fine on her own!
It sounds like you are doing great Michelle! I know several APs who had to take their babies with them to the passport office, as they traveled solo. Before you know it, you'll be on that plane going home-yeah! Hope you get to the waterpuppet show...Katie loved it, and we got her a dragon puppet there for a measely $7...a deal. Enjoy every minute-it will fly by!
Love
Kel
m,b,Fee seems to understand me
Trust me, TJ, nobody truly understands you. :-)
BooBoo, the anonymous woman is making me angry. Will you please delete her?
Over
17
Michelle,
Enjoy every minute of your time in Vietnam and the special bonding time with the baby :) She is beautiful!!!
Love,
Catherine
My "assistant" Kathi understands me :)
AND AND
If your getting puppets of ANYTHING, I want a monkey on a stick!!!
Michelle,
I'm enjoying your blog. I will be traveling solo this time too so I'm hanging on every word. The passport. Your getting them in 1 DAY without paying the expediting fee??? That saves tons of $$$
sandy
Michelle,
I forgot to add..the puppet show is FANTASTIC! And you can get all the puppets on the streets for $2.
sandy
Post a Comment